The Department of Recycling and Sustainable Materials Management is responsible for the environmentally secure disposal of everything that residents no longer want. Federal and State regulations require specific disposal methods and limits that must be followed. These regulations address mandatory recycling, proper handling of hazardous materials, and environmental protection. The complexities and expenses are considerable. Collection and disposal requirements reflect these regulations. The following are the Department’s major responsibilities:
- Landfill, Ashfill and Transfer Station operations
- Contracted curbside collection from 1, 2 and 3 family homes
- Roadside litter and illegal dumping cleanup
- Inspection services
- Materials Recycling Facility operation
- Hazardous Material operations
- Equipment maintenance
- Public education
What Your Carter Does
- Collect an unlimited number of 32 gal. containers (no bungees or attached lids, no corrals) or bags (under 50 lbs.) of household trash each collection day.
- The Town defines household trash as anything generated from your kitchen or bathroom waste baskets.
- Collect 4 additional bulk items on the last collection day.
- Collect recyclables separately from garbage on Wednesdays.
- Sticker and leave waste that is not placed at the curb according to the town code.
- Collect yard waste separately from other solid waste.
All items for curbside collection must be placed at one curbside location per property. Waste items from your home must be placed in front of your home only.
Complaints / Concerns
If the carter is not complying, please alert the Department of Recycling and Sustainable Materials Management at 451-TOWN as soon as possible so that we can remedy the problem effectively. Complaints are recorded and tracked. If a pattern of non-compliance is found, financial penalties can be imposed.
View Solid Waste Management Plan (SWMP) (PDF)