Holtsville Ecology Site
Holtsville Ecology Site and Animal Preserve
Located in the Town of Brookhaven, the Holtsville Ecology Site and Animal Preserve is a shining example of environmental transformation. Once a landfill, this site has been carefully rehabilitated since its closure in 1974. Through the efforts of the Town of Brookhaven Highway Department, what was once a waste dump has become a thriving recreational and educational facility, offering a wide range of amenities and activities for visitors to enjoy.
Explore the Holtsville Park - A Perfect Destination for Family Outings
With free entry, the Holtsville Park is an ideal location for families and nature enthusiasts. The park boasts an array of facilities that cater to visitors of all ages:
- Triple Pool Complex: Cool off during the summer months at this state-of-the-art pool facility.
- Exercise Trail with Fitness Course: Stay active and healthy with a scenic outdoor workout along the trail, featuring a variety of fitness stations.
- Picnics, Meetings, Photos: Enjoy a meal in the great outdoors at our picnic area, check out our meeting rooms and photo opportunities, or go right to our online Ecology Site Building Use Permit Application.
Discover the Holtsville Animal Preserve and Ecology Center - A Must-Visit for Wildlife Lovers
Get up close and personal with wildlife at the Holtsville Animal Preserve and Ecology Center. With a diverse collection of animals and engaging exhibits, this educational attraction is sure to delight and inspire visitors:
- Notable Animals: The preserve is home to several fascinating species, including the elusive Bobcat, majestic Buffalo, iconic Bald Eagle, and the American Black Bear.
- Ecology Exhibits and Tours: Gain insight into the local ecosystem and the importance of conservation through interactive displays and guided tours offered at the Ecology Center.
Embrace Sustainable Living with Free Compost and Greenhouses
The Holtsville Ecology Site is not just a recreational space, but also a hub for sustainable living practices. Visitors can access the following eco-friendly resources on-site:
- Free Compost: Give your garden a nutrient boost with the complimentary compost available at the facility. This high-quality, organic material is perfect for enriching your soil and promoting healthy plant growth.
- Greenhouses: Learn about various plant species and witness how they grow in a controlled environment. These greenhouses showcase a wide range of plants, offering an educational experience for budding gardeners and botany enthusiasts alike.
Support the Animals
Wildlife and Ecology CenterPhysical Address
249 Buckley Road
Holtsville, NY 11742
249 Buckley Road Holtsville NY 11742
January – March
Open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Weekdays
Closed Weekends & Holidays
April 1 – May 26
Open 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Daily
Closed Easter Sunday
May 27 – Sept. 29
Open 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Daily
Sept. 30 – Dec. 30
Open 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Daily
Closed Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Years Day
*Subject to closure at the Town’s discretion * All hours are weather-permitting *