The mission of the Department of Information Technology is to maintain and secure the Town’s digital assets, including databases, software and computing equipment, as well as provide technical support to the all departments within the Town. The Department's technical staff provides project management, application development and technical support for a large array of servers, personal computers, printers, mobile devices and network infrastructure throughout the Town of Brookhaven.
The IT Department’s primary responsibilities include:
- Analyze, purchase or develop and configure systems to improve workflow, efficiencies and reduce departmental and Town operating costs.
- Establish and maintain systems which enable the Town’s digital assets to be captured, stored, edited, retrieved and secured in a cost effective and time efficient manner.
- Install, upgrade and maintain the infrastructure on which these systems reside.
- Provide project management of capital investments for technology upgrades.
Some of the related responsibilities include the following:
- Create, modify and support critical Town applications, including Finance, Personnel, Payroll, Work-Order, Permits, GIS, Parcel Assets and Assessment, Tax Receiver accounting and Email services.
- Critical system data back up and restores.
- Establish and maintain security of all computer systems, servers and storage devices, network, email and internet access.
- Maintain all operating systems and system software.
- Maintain a software license inventory and fixed asset inventory of all devices purchased for Town use.
- Manage all Town cell phones, including email services for smart phones.
- Monitor and maintain communications infrastructure and systems network including virus and unauthorized intrusions.
- Prepare system and application documentation.
- Provide Audio Visual support to record, edit and broadcast all Town proceedings, including Board meetings and press events.
- Provide recommendations to all departments on creating and maintaining data integrity.
- Provide user training for all standard software applications.
- Repair, support and maintain of all electronic devices, including and but not limited to, workstations, laptops, handheld devices, printers, scanners, and cell phones.
- Replace, recycle and/or dispose of all hardware in an appropriate manner upon end of life.
- Routine disaster recovery drills to minimize data loss in case of disaster.