Health Insurance Information Counseling and Assistance Program (HICAP)
HIICAP is the New York State Health Insurance Assistance Program. It receives federal funds from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to operate a statewide network of local programs. For local assistance in answering Health Insurance (HIICAP) questions, call the HIICAP Hotline Number 800-701-0501.
Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage (EPIC)
EPIC Program operates a toll-free Helpline which is available from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Call 800-332-3742 (or TTY at 800-290-9138) for more information or to request an application. You can also visit the EPIC Website.
- Phone: 800-MEDICARE or 800-633-4227
- Medicare Website
Helpful Phone Numbers
- Bay Area Nutrition: 631-281-7679
- Comfort Aids (walker, shower chair, etc.): 631-451-9191
- Henrietta Acampora Recreation Center: 631-363-5193
- Mastic Recreation: 631-281-7655
- New Village Recreation Center: 631-732-2338
- Robert E Reid, Sr. Recreation Center: 631-744-2601
Free Cell phones for people who are income-eligible
- Handicap Parking Permits
Call the Town of Brookhaven Clerk's Office at 631-451-9124
- Handicap Ramps
Call the Town of Brookhaven Housing and Human Services at 451-6600 or visit the Disabilities Services page.
- HEAP - (Home Energy Assistance Program)
- Social Security Administration
Social Security Administration Website
- STAR Program
Call the Town of Brookhaven Assessor's Office at 631-451-6205.
- Suffolk County Office for the Aging
Suffolk County Office for the Aging Website
- Suffolk County Adult Protective Services
Suffolk County Adult Protective Services Website
- My Benefits NY
My Benefits is the fast and easy way to find out about many health and human services programs such as Food Stamps, HEAP, WIC, Medicaid, EPIC and Veterans Affairs.
My Benefits NY Website
- Department of Social Services
Citizens in need of assistance and services by providing SNAP benefits (formerly known as food stamps), temporary financial, housing, medical and home energy assistance as well as protective and preventive services for and adults.
Department of Social Services Website
- (SCAT) Suffolk County Accessible Transportation
Provides curb-to-curb service to individuals with disabilities. Eligibility to use SCAT is determined based on guidelines contained in the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA).
- Touro Law Center
Senior Citizens' Law Program - services include representation at advocacy and administrative hearings.