Handicap Ramps / Lifts
Handicap Ramps & Handicap Lifts
The Town of Brookhaven Residential Rehabilitation Program provides a 0% interest deferred loan to any income eligible homeowner that is in need of a handicap ramp or handicap lift to enhance access to their home. Only single family residences and condominium units are eligible.
Eligibility is determined by total household income and the income guidelines. Due to the large number of applicants, it is necessary to complete a one-page application. Once your application has been received, you will receive a letter asking that you provide our office with additional documents (PDF). When the documents have been received and reviewed, you will be asked to meet with one of our staff to complete additional forms and answer any questions you may have.
If you are eligible, the process to determine the work to be completed will start as follows:
- An Inspector will meet with you at your home to go over any concerns and perform a review of your home to determine whether a ramp or a lift is the best option to resolve your accessibility needs.
- A written summary of the work to be completed will be prepared for your review, approval and signature.
- You will be asked to select contractors from a list of Suffolk County licensed contractors that meet the Town's license and insurance requirements and you may submit one or more of your own contractors who meet the Town's requirements.
- The contractors you select will meet with you and the Inspector at your home to review the work to be completed to insure they understand the work to be performed under the approved work summary.
- The contractors will submit written bids for the job. Approximately two weeks later, the bids will be opened in our offices at a specified date and time. The Lowest Responsible Bid will be selected. A responsible bid is one that is submitted on time and falls within a range of the Inspector's estimate.
- The department will prepare a contract between the homeowner and the contractor. The town provides the funding for the approved rehabilitation work to be completed.
Financing - Paying for the Work to Be Done
- A Federal CDBG grant funds this program and pays the contractor directly.
- This is a zero (0%) percent deferred loan program secured by a mortgage on your home.
- The loan terms have no interest and there are no monthly payments.
- The loan is due and payable when you sell your home, transfer title or certain other conditions that are outlined in the mortgage and note documents.
Should you have any questions, please contact our office at 631-451-6600 and ask for the Housing Rehabilitation Administrator.