Residents are required by law to participate in Brookhaven’s CURB (Clean Up Recycle Brookhaven) mandatory recycling program. Mandatory recycling is collected every week on Wednesdays. Commingled CURBY can recyclables and paper recyclables are collected on alternate Wednesdays (view recycling schedule). Your items must be placed at the curb prior to 6:00 am.
What is Acceptable for Curbside Recycling?
Since November 2018, the Town of Brookhaven has followed a dual-stream recycling system. This means that your paper and cardboard will be collected separately from your plastic and metal on alternating Wednesdays according to our calendar.
Plastic and Metal Recycling
Plastic Numbers 1, 2, and 5
Look for symbol on bottom of container:
Please empty and rinse all recyclables
Paper and Cardboard Recycling
Cardboard (broken down/flattened)
- Dealing with items that can’t be recycled makes it harder to recycle the items that can.
- Be sure to check our Throwing It Out Guide for complete information on how to get rid of just about everything in the Town of Brookhaven.
- Questions? Please contact us at 631451-8696 (TOWN) or by contacting us online to learn how to properly dispose of your items and about our educational programs.
How to Put Out Your Recyclables
- Please place recyclables out loose in a CURBY can or other container
- Your items must be placed at the curb prior to 6:00 am
- Recyclables in plastic bags will NOT be accepted
Request a Free Paper Recycling Bin
Visit our online form to request a free paper recycling bin and pick one of our convenient pickup locations.
Curby Recycling Cans
Residents can request a free Recycle Brookhaven Sticker sticker to identify their recycling can. All acceptable recyclable material may be brought to the Town Landfill free of charge.