An Important Message About Recycling Changes
Recently the recycling industry, including the Town of Brookhaven, has experienced elevated levels of contamination within residentially collected recyclables. The increased quantities of contamination occurred at a time when the requirements for “clean recycling” have become stricter due to new policies in the marketplace. As a result of these market changes, the Town, after much consideration, has decided to return to dual-stream recycling effective November 28, 2018. View our updated recycling schedule to learn more about the Town of Brookhaven recycling changes.
Easy as 1-2-3
- Collect curbside recyclables in a recycling bin at home.
- See our recycling schedule to learn which materials are being collected each week.
- Place your recycling bin at the curb Tuesday night for Wednesday collection.
How to Prepare Recycling
- Empty and rinse all containers. Lids on containers and bottles are acceptable.
- Paper clips, staples, rubber bands, and plastic windows on envelopes and paper are ok.
- Please make sure your recycling bin has a lid to keep contents dry.
Please see the Throwing It Out Guide (PDF) for how to dispose of non-recyclable items.
Acceptable Materials for Curbside Recycling
- Copy Paper
- Color Inserts
- Plastics #1 and #2
- Water / Soda Bottles
- Milk Jugs
- Detergent Bottles
- Tin, aluminum and bimetallic cans
- Aerosol spray cans (empty and caps removed)
Unacceptable Materials for Curbside Recycle
- All Glass
- Cartons (egg, juice, milk, etc.)
- Cat litter
- Containers of oil, pesticides, gasoline, chemicals
- Explosives / Ammunition
- Food Waste
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Light bulbs
- Medical waste
- Needles/syringes/sharp items
- Paint and paint cans
- Plastic Bags
- Plastic Utensils
- Plastics with no number symbol
- Shredded Paper
- Soiled paper (tissues, paper towel, etc.)
- Soiled Cardboard (greasy pizza boxes, etc.)
- Waxed or metallic paper
- Yard Waste
Recyclable Glass Drop-Off Program
Glass bottles and jars are no longer accepted with curbside recyclables. You can drop off free of charge at one of our satellite locations listed below:
- Brookhaven Town Hall
One Independence Hill, Farmingville, NY 11738
- Brookhaven Landfill
350 Horseblock Road, Brookhaven, NY 11719
- Manorville Compost Facility
Papermill Road, Manorville, NY 11949
- Holtsville Ecology Center
249 Buckley Road, Holtsville, NY 11742
- Rose Caracappa Sr. Center
739 Route 25A, Mt. Sinai, NY 11766