Our friendly and knowledgeable staff works with your needs in mind and strives to provide the utmost in satisfaction when responding to your requests.
The Town Clerk’s Office is frequently considered the center of town government. The Town Clerk holds many titles and is tasked with a myriad of duties including:
- Filing Officer - Town Ordinances, Local Laws, Petitions, Oaths of Office, Notice of Claims, Notice of Highway Defects and annual budgets are among the many documents filed with the Town Clerk.
- Freedom of Information Law Appeals Officer
- Recording Secretary for the Town Board - official record keeper of all Town Board meetings including notices, resolutions and minutes.
- Records Management Officer for the Town - manages and preserves all Town records.
Town Clerk Services
The Town Clerk also serves as the Licensing Officer and Registrar of Vital Statistics. In these capacities the Town Clerk provides a wide variety of services on behalf of the Town of Brookhaven. This includes the issuance of the following certificates, licenses and permits.
- Amusement and Special Event Permits (Carnivals, Street Fairs, Etc.)
- Amusement Device Licenses
- Beach Buggy Permits (Motor Vehicle Operation on the Great South Beach)
- Bingo and Games of Chance Licenses
- Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates
- DEC Hunting and Fishing Licenses
- Dog Licenses
- Going Out of Business Licenses
- Marriage Licenses
- Outdoor Assemblage Permits
- Parade and Road Race Permits
- Parking Permits for Persons with Disabilities
- Peddler Licenses
- Permit to House or Harbor Pigeons
- Pooch Pass (Dog Park Pass)
- Shellfish Harvesting Permits
- Wooden Walk Permits (Vehicles on Fire Island Wooden Walks)
The Town Clerk also processes and maintains:
- Town Marina Boat Berth Waiting Lists
- Town Marina Seasonal Boat Berth Leases
- Vacant Building Registry
Accepted Forms of Payment
- Cash - accepted for in office transactions only, will not be accepted by mail
- Credit Card - a service fee of 2.35% is added to all credit card transactions. The minimum fee is $1.50
- Money Order
- Personal Check - must include the Account Holder’s address and telephone number
As your Town Clerk, I have made it my goal for the Town Clerk’s Office to serve Brookhaven residents efficiently. My staff is well trained to handle the services you, as a resident of the Town, require. I look forward to assisting you in the future and hope your experiences with our office are always pleasant and provide the satisfaction you have come to expect.