The Brookhaven Town Clerk maintains birth records for individuals born within the:
- Town of Brookhaven
- Village of Lake Grove
- Village of Port Jefferson for births that occurred before January 1, 1964
For births that occurred within the Village of Port Jefferson from January 1, 1964 through the present, contact the Village Clerk of Port Jefferson at 631-473-4724. For births that occurred within the Village of Patchogue, contact the Village Clerk of Patchogue at 631-475-4300.
You can apply for a certified copy of a birth certificate by mail or online at VitalChek.
Obtain a Birth Certificate
The only individuals eligible to obtain a birth certificate include:
- The person named on the certificate.
- A parent of the person named on the birth certificate (requesting parent’s name must be on birth certificate).
- A person who has court-ordered legal custody/guardianship of the person named on the birth certificate. A certified copy of the court order must accompany request.
- An individual who has notarized authorization from the person named on the certificate (if 18 years of age or older) or either parent listed on the record. The original notarized authorization must accompany the request.
Applications must be submitted with a copy of one (1) of the following forms of valid photo ID. Expired photo ID will not be accepted.
- DMV issued Non-Driver Photo ID
- Driver License
- Employee photo ID plus a pay stub from current employer dated within the last six months
- Permanent Resident Card
- Police report of lost/stolen ID
- U.S. Military ID
If the applicant’s name on the ID differs from the information on the birth certificate, a copy of the applicant’s marriage certificate, legal name change paperwork, citizenship papers or naturalization papers must accompany the request.
Alternative Proofs of Identification
If the applicant does not have a form of valid photo ID as listed above, two (2) of the following showing applicant’s name and address must be submitted with the request. Please note, if the following documents are used to prove identity, the certificate will be mailed to the applicant at the address listed on the submitted proof.
- Letter from a government agency dated within the last months
- Pay stubs dated within the last six months
- Utility or telephone bills dated within the last six months
Mailing Certificate to a P.O. Box or Third Party
If the applicant’s return address is a Post Office Box, with no street address, or the return address is to a third party, notarized signed consent of the person named on the birth certificate or other person eligible to obtain the copy is required.
There is a fee of $10 per certified copy requested. No more than two (2) copies will be issued at a time. Payment may be made by check or money order payable to “Brookhaven Town Clerk”.
Certificates ordered online through VitalChek are subject to an additional service fee imposed by VitalChek.
Adoptee Birth Certificate Law
As of January 15, 2020, New York State law allows adoptees to obtain a copy of their original pre-adoption birth certificate after they turn 18 years old. Click Here for More Information