- Town Clerk
- Vital Records
- Death Certificates
The Brookhaven Town Clerk maintains birth records for individuals who passed away within the:
- Town of Brookhaven
- Village of Lake Grove
- Village of Port Jefferson for births that occurred before January 1, 1964
For deaths that occurred within the Village of Port Jefferson from January 1, 1964 through the present, contact the Village Clerk of Port Jefferson at 631-473-4724.
You can apply for a certified copy of a death certificate by mail or online at VitalChek.
Obtain a Death Certificate
The only individuals eligible to obtain a death certificate include:
- The surviving spouse of the decedent
- A parent of the decedent
- A child or sibling of the decedent. A copy of the applicant’s birth certificate listing the parent(s) must accompany request.
- An individual with notarized authorization from a person who is entitled to the certificate. The original notarized authorization must accompany the request. View the Authorization Form for Third Party to Obtain a Death Certificate (PDF).
- Other individuals who have a:
- Documented lawful right or claim. An example of a lawful right or claim would be if an applicant needed the death certificate to claim a benefit. Required documentation would consist of a letter from the agency addressed to the applicant stating a certified death certificate is needed to process the claim. The certificate will be sent directly to the agency or company that requires the document. The name and address of a contact person must be provided.
- New York State Court Order
Applications must be submitted with a copy of one of the following forms of valid photo ID. Expired photo ID will not be accepted.
- DMV issued Non-Driver Photo ID
- Driver License
- Employee photo ID plus a pay stub from current employer
- Permanent Resident Card
- U.S. Military ID
If the applicant’s name on the ID differs from the decedent’s last name or from the applicant’s birth name, a copy of the applicant’s marriage certificate, legal name change paperwork, citizenship papers or naturalization papers may be required.
Alternative Proofs of Identification
If the applicant does not have a form of valid photo ID as listed above, two utility or telephone bills dated within the last six months showing applicant’s name and address must be submitted with the request. Please note, if utility or telephone bills are used to prove identity, the certificate will be mailed to the applicant at the address listed on the submitted bills.
Mailing Certificate to a P.O. Box or Third Party
If the applicant’s return address is a Post Office Box, with no street address, or the return address is to a third party, notarized signed consent of the person eligible to obtain the death certificate is required.
There is a fee of $10 per certified copy requested. Payment may be made by check or money order payable to “Brookhaven Town Clerk”.
Certificates ordered online through VitalChek are subject to an additional service fee imposed by VitalChek.