Generally, the Town Clerk provides uncertified copies of the following types of records for genealogy research purposes:
- Birth certificates - if on file for at least 75 years and the person whose name is on the birth certificate is known to be deceased.
- Death certificates - if on file for at least 50 years.
- Marriage certificates - if on file for at least 50 years and both spouses are known to be deceased.
Time Period Waiver
The time periods are waived if the applicant is a direct-line descendant (i.e. the child, grandchild, great grandchild) and provides documentation of direct-line descent. The direct-line descendant applicant must provide:
- Proof of their relationship to the person whose record they are requesting.
- Proof of the death of the person whose birth certificate they are requesting.
- Proof of the death of both spouses whose marriage certificate they are requesting.
- Complete, print and sign a copy of the genealogical services application (PDF).
- Mail the application with check or money order and a copy of any required documentation to:
Donna Lent, Brookhaven Town Clerk
One Independence Hill
Farmingville, NY 11738
The fee for each record is determined by the time-frame to be searched.
- Standard search: This includes a three year search. The fee is $22 per copy. The fee is for each name or type of record requested.
- Long search: This includes a search of more than three years but less than 10 years. The fee is $42 per copy.
- Requests for more than a 10 year search should be directed to:
New York Department of Health
Vital Records Section, Certification Unit
P.O. Box 2602
Albany, NY 12220-2602
- If no record is on file, a No Record Report will be issued and the fee is not refunded.
Payment may be made by check or money order payable to “Donna Lent, Brookhaven Town Clerk.” Payment submitted from foreign countries must be made by a check drawn on a United States bank or by international money order. Do not send cash.