A couple who intends to be married in New York State must apply in person for a marriage license. The application for a license must be sworn and signed in the presence of the issuing clerk by both individuals. A representative cannot apply for the license on behalf of the couple. This applies even if the representative has been given Power of Attorney.
- If either applicant is under 17 years of age, a marriage license cannot be issued.
- If either applicant is 17 years of age, such applicant(s) must present the written consent of both parents and a certified copy of a court order from a justice of the Supreme Court or a judge of the Family Court having jurisdiction over the town or city in which the application is made.
- If both applicants are 18 years of age or older, no consents are required.
Each applicant must present one of the following birth documents:
- Original or Certified Copy of Birth Certificate
- Baptismal Certificate with birth name, date of birth, place of birth and parents’ names and sealed by the church.
Valid Photo Identification
Each applicant must present one of the following forms of valid photo ID:
- DMV non-driver’s ID
- Driver License
- Permanent Resident Card
- U.S. Military ID
- If divorced, applicant(s) must bring the Divorce Judgments from all previous marriages.
- If the previous marriage ended by the death of a spouse, a certified death certificate must be presented that lists the applicant as the surviving spouse.
If the above documentation is not in English, the document must be translated by a certified translator that is approved by the Town of Brookhaven.
- Only translations from a bona fide business, university, embassy, or consulate will be accepted.
- The translation must be on company, university or government letterhead with a copy of the original document attached.
- The translation must be completed from the original document, not a scanned, faxed or photo copy.
- The translation must include a statement of accuracy with the translator’s original notarized signature. This statement must attest to the accuracy of the translation and that the translator is competent to translate the specific language.
- You must bring the original document AND the original translation to the Town Clerk’s Office when applying for the marriage license.
Name Change Options
- Applicants must state their choice of last name after marriage on the application.
- The name change option does not apply to first or middle names.
- The choice of last name cannot be changed after the marriage license is issued.
There is a $40 fee for a marriage license.
Payment may be made by cash, check, money order or credit/debit card. Personal checks must include the account holder’s address and telephone number. A service fee of 2.35% (minimum fee of $1.50) will be added to all credit/debit card transactions.