Town-Owned Historic Sites

First Congregational Church of New Village

  • Address: Middle Country Road, Lake Grove 11755
  • Dates: New York and National Landmark since 2002
    Information: Originally planned to be the New Village Meeting place, the church was officially opened in 1817. The congregation, established in 1815 was headed by Pastor Jacob Corwin as the "Third Congregational Church of Brookhaven."
  • Contact: Town of Brookhaven Department of Parks and Recreation Phone: 631-451-6100
  • Open to the Public: By Appointment
Black and white image of a church and cemetery
Black and white image of students outside schoolhouse

Swan River School House

  • Address:31 Roe Avenue, East Patchogue 11772
  • Dates: Town of Brookhaven Landmark September 2011
  • Information: Furnishings include the original desks and benches, pot belly stove, large iron bell (brought indoors after the hurricane of 1938), plus exhibits of real pertinent to life in the area in olden days.
  • Contact: Patchogue Historical Society Phone: 631-654-1712
  • Open to the Public: By Appointment

Longwood Estate (Smith Estate)

  • Address: 331 Longwood Road, Ridge 11961
  • Dates: National Landmark since December 1981 to Brookhaven Historic District since July 1985.
  • Information: Geographically, the estate consisted of farmland, pasture, woods, river fronts, ponds, and the long swamp itself, headwaters of the Peconic River. Tenant farmers worked the land and timber was the most valuable commodity.
  • Contact: Town of Brookhaven Department of Parks and Recreation Phone: 631-924-1820
  • Open to the Public: Weekdays and Special Events
Black and white image of a three story home
Black and white image of of a two story white house

Lester H. Davis House

  • Address: 263 Middle Country Road, Coram 11727
  • Dates: Landmark - Brookhaven April 1986, NYS September 2000, National August 2001
  • Information: In 1790, the town decided to move the site of government from Setauket to Coram to provide a more convenient central location for the voters. The mode of government was the annual town meeting held in April.
  • Contact: Town of Brookhaven Department of Parks and Recreation Phone: 631-924-1820
  • Open to the Public: Under Construction

Gamecock Cottage

  • Address: Trustees Road, Stony Brook
  • Dates: Landmark - Brookhaven April 2005, NYS and National Fall 2005
  • Information: Under pending license agreement with Three Village Community Trust - Cynthia Barnes.
  • Contact: Town of Brookhaven Department of Parks and Recreation Phone: 631-924-1820
  • Open to the Public: By Appointment
Black and white image of of a cottage on body of water
Josiah Woodhull House / Seldoon Farm

Josiah Woodhull House / Seldoon Farm

  • Address: 170 North Country Road, Wading River 11786,
  • Dates: Landmark - Brookhaven April 2005, NYS and National August 2007
  • Information: The second story was built first and later the house was raised and the lower story added. Wooley's Mill, a sawmill, was in operation for many years in the years gone by. Kennel building is leased to the Smithtown Hunt, as they house their hounds there.
  • Contact: Town of Brookhaven Department of Parks and Recreation Phone: 631-924-1820
  • Open to the Public: No

Merritt-Hawkins House

  • Address: Pond Path, just south of Upper Sheep Pasture Road, Setauket
  • Dates: Landmark - Brookhaven April 2005, New York State and National August 2007
  • Information: The historic Selleck Homestead Preserve abuts the Nassakeag Elementary School. It is part of one of the earliest farms in Setauket and County records show that it originally belonged to the Hawkins family with the first house being built there in 1774.
  • Contact: Town of Brookhaven Department of Parks and Recreation Phone: 631-924-1820
  • Open to the Public: By Appointment (first floor only)
Black and white image of cedar clapped building
Sepia tone image of a dirt road and building

Terryville Union Hall

  • Address: Terryville Road, south of KinderKare, Terryville
  • Dates: Landmark - Brookhaven April 2005, NYS and National August 2007
  • Information: Operated under license to the Cumsewogue Historical Society.
  • Contact: Jack Smith at 631-928-7622
  • Open to the Public: By Appointment

Mary E Bell House

  • Address: 66 Railroad Avenue, Center Moriches, 11934
  • Dates: Town of Brookhaven Landmark February 2011
  • Information: The Alice Bell House was created in the late 19th century.
  • Contact: Parks Department Phone: 631-451-6100
  • Open to the Public: No
Black and white image of two story white home
Black and white image of two story white house

Smith Osip Farm

  • Address: Corner Montauk Highway and Bay Avenue, East Moriches, 11940
  • Dates: Included in Town of Brookhaven "Open Space" purchases
  • Information: Smith Osip Farm was purchased by the Town of Brookhaven to preserve open space.
  • Contact: Parks Department Phone: 631-451-6100
  • Open to the Public: No

Plisko Farm

  • Address: North side of South St, east of Wading River Road, Manorville 11949
  • Dates: Included in Town of Brookhaven "Open Space" purchases
  • Information: Plisko Farm was purchased by the Town of Brookhaven to preserve open space.
  • Contact: Parks Department Phone: 631-451-6100
  • Open to the Public: No
Black and white image of of cedar clapped farm