Real Property Tax Exemption
You may be eligible for senior citizen tax exemptions. Senior citizens have until March 1st, 2024 to apply for such exemptions.
Property Tax Exemptions
The intention of this web page is to make homeowners in the Town of Brookhaven aware of several Real Property Tax Exemptions that are currently available. The general rule in New York State is that all property is taxable, unless specifically made otherwise by law.
The exemptions listed below are available only pursuant to the New York State Real Property Tax Law and are administered by the Town of Brookhaven Office of the Assessor. As a result, the Town must strictly adhere to New York State Law in processing all exemptions.
The annual deadline to file for any of these exemptions is March 1st. All late applications must be denied by operation of New York State Real Property Tax Law.
Please contact the Office of the Assessor if you have any specific questions. For additional information regarding available exemptions and forms, please visit the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance website.
- RP-306a - Agricultural Assessment Certificate of Cancellation of Agricultural Use Commitment (PDF)
- RP305r - Agricultural Assessment Renewal Application (PDF)
- RP-305c - Agricultural Assessment Written Lease Affidavit for Rented Land
- RP-305b - Application for Exemption from Minimum Average Sales Value Requirement (PDF)
- RP-305 - Agricultural Assessment Application (PDF)
- RP-483 - Application for Tax Exemption of Agricultural and Horticultural Buildings and Structures (PDF)
Firefighters / Ambulance Workers Exemption
Limited Income Disability Exemption
Low Income Senior (O'65) Exemption
- RP-458A Alternative Veterans 2024-25
- RP-458B Cold War Veterans 2024-25
- RP-458A-B Alternative - Cold War Veterans Disability Upgrade 2024-25
- RP-458A-B Veterans Combat Upgrade 2024-25
- RP-458 Eligible Funds Veteran 2024-25
- RP-458 Eligible Funds Veteran Supplement 2024-25
- RP-458A-B School Only Eligible Fund Veterans 2024-25
- RP-421f - Application for Real Property Tax Exemption for Capital Improvements to Residential Property (PDF)
- RP-446 - Application for Real Property Tax Exemption for Unimproved Cemetery Land (PDF)
- RP-457 - Application for Real Property Tax Exemption for First-Time Homebuyers of Newly Constructed Homes (PDF)
- RP-485b - Application for Real Property Tax Exemption for Commercial, Business or Industrial Property (PDF)