Farmingville, NY – On April 27, Supervisor Ed Romaine, Councilwoman Jane Bonner and Councilman Michael Loguercio attended the dedication of a plaque at the entrance of the Davis Town Meeting House located on Middle Country Road in Coram. The plaque, which identifies the restored building as being placed on the National Register of Historic Places, was provided by a grant from the William G. Pomeroy Foundation Pictured left to right are Yaphank Historic Society President Bob Kessler; NY State Assemblyman Steve Engelbright; Councilman Mike Loguercio; Supervisor Ed Romaine; Davis Town Meeting House Society, Inc. President Maryanne Douglas; Councilwoman Jane Bonner; Coram Civic Association President Erma Gluck and Suffolk County Legislator Sarah Anker.For over 250 years, the Davis House was owned by direct male descendants of Foulk Davis, who arrived in Southampton in 1642. According to local historian Davis Erhardt, the original owner of the house was probably Elijah Davis (1727-1802) who kept a tavern-inn. Beginning in the 1790s, the house served as the seat of the Town of Brookhaven government for 80 years. The inn was also used as a temperance house in the mid-1800s. By 1890, all commercial use ceased, and it became solely a private residence.
Division of Public Information * Office of the SupervisorOne Independence Hill • Farmingville • NY 11738 • Phone 631-451-6595