The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as well as the New York State (NYS) Department of Health report that there is currently no vaccine to prevent Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
Brookhaven Town News
Sign up for email and/or text message notifications pertaining to Coronavirus and Town emergencies.
The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus.
Below are links to recommended preventative actions from the CDC and NYS pertaining to the Coronavirus:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe
- Follow CDC’s recommendations for using a face mask:
- CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a face mask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19
- Face masks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to others
- The use of face masks is also crucial for health workers and those who are taking care of people in close setting (at home or in a health care facility)
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
- If you have recently traveled or plan on travelling, view the CDC’s specific guidance for travelers