Farmingville, NY – On October 1, Councilwoman Jane Bonner visited the William Miller House in Miller Place to honor Jack Soldano, creator of “Comics for a Cause.” Jack has been selling his grandfather’s collection of vintage comics, including “Batman,” “Superman,” and “Dr. Strange,” to raise money for the installation of a new roof on the historic landmark. Pictured left to right are Gerard Mannarino; Edna Giffen; Peter Mott; Councilwoman Bonner; Jack’s mother Cristin Mansfield; Jack Soldano; brother Bobby Soldano; father Steve Soldano; friends and helpers Jared LoPiano and Cory Gardner; Ann Donato; Margaret Cibulka; Janice Flynn ansd Carol Gumbrecht.Councilwoman Bonner said, “The North Shore of Brookhaven has a rich history and the William Miller House is one of our most important landmarks. I thank Jack Soldano, his family and friends for their efforts to help restore this beautiful landmark.”The Miller Place Historical Society was founded in 1974. In 1982 the name was changed to Miller Place-Mount Sinai Historical Society to reflect the close ties the two communities have shared since the 1600s. The Society oversees two properties with several buildings, the William Miller House and the Daniel Hawkins House. The mission of the Society is to collect, preserve and share the history of Long Island with emphasis on Miller Place, Mount Sinai and the surrounding areas. Visit www.mpmshistoricalsociety.org for more information.About the William Miller HouseThe original owner of the land on which the William Miller House was built, was William’s grandfather, Andrew Miller Sr. Andrew was born in England (1632-1717) and immigrated to America with his family when he was eleven. He was a cooper in East Hampton until he came to the area called Old Mans around 1670. Andrew Miller purchased approximately 105 acres from Brookhaven Town and built his home near the pond. Andrew Sr. deeded his home lot in Old Mans to his son Andrew Jr. in 1709. Andrew Jr., who had built his own home, died in 1716.The William Miller House was acquired by the Miller Place-Mount Sinai Historical Society in 1979 from the estate of Harry Millard, the last lineal descendant of William Miller. The house consists of three sections: the middle room, built in 1720 is the original section, a second house that was attached to the west end of the house in 1750, and a third house that was brought to the site and added to the east end of the house in 1816. The Society restored the house in the early 1980s. Listing on the National Register of Historic Places enabled the eventual preservation and restoration of the structure. The Miller Place-Mount Sinai Historical Society maintains the 1720 William Miller House as a museum and the center for its many historically educational activities.
Division of Public Information * Office of the SupervisorOne Independence Hill • Farmingville • NY 11738 • Phone 631-451-6595