Farmingville, NY – Brookhaven Town Councilman Dan Panico (left) recently presented a plaque to the Kaloski family of Center Moriches, for their contributions to aviation in Brookhaven Town. Victor and Ed Kaloski, two brothers originally from Moriches, started Brookhaven Air Service in 1946, on property that is now Brookhaven Calabro Airport, on Dawn Drive in Shirley. The Kaloski brothers operated the airport until 1963, offering flight instruction, maintenance, repair and tie down rentals. The airport was subsequently assumed by the Town of Brookhaven as a municipal airport, but Victor and Edward had a significant impact on aviation in Brookhaven, having taught numerous residents how to fly, including the airport’s namesake, Doctor Calabro.Pictured from left to right are: Councilman Panico, David Kaloski, grandson of Victor and great nephew of Edward, Douglas Kaloski, son of Victor and nephew of Edward, Evan Kaloski, great grandson of Victor and great, great nephew of Edward and Cindy Kaloski, daughter-in-law of Victor.
Division of Public Information * Office of the SupervisorOne Independence Hill • Farmingville • NY 11738 • Phone 631-451-6595